Review of the beautiful Hourglass Surreal Light palette with photos and Swatches.
I almost don’t want to tell anyone about this delightful object because it’s my precious (said in a creepy Golum voice with hand rub). Here’s Hourglass’s blurb-
Discover the most covetable Ambient® Light yet. Introducing Surreal Light – a sheer nude powder evoking the magic hour of perfect lighting where the sun brings the softest, most flattering glow to the complexion.
• All new shades of finishing powder, bronzer, blushes and highlighter designed to give you everything you need to finish, brighten, contour and highlight your skin in a single compact.
• Formulated with Photoluminescent Technology to capture, diffuse and soften surrounding light to refine the appearance of the skin.
• All products are universally flattering and deliver a multidimensional luminescence to every skin tone, making it appear softer, younger and lit-from-within. Designed to be layered and work together seamlessly to imbue the entire complexion with an otherworldly glow.
RRP- £69 for 0.34oz product
Sounds good eh? It’s essentially a powder contour palette which gives a natural glow.
Hourglass Surreal Light Limited Edition Palette Review
The packaging is stunning. It’s matte marble, so stylish and chic. Adding to its beauty is it’s practicality, the powders are kept secure in the robust compact and there’s a decent sized mirror in the lid. You get 5 powders-
- Surreal Light Finishing Powder is a flesh toned powder for finishing the whole face. It has a subtle shimmer to it.
- Surreal Bronze Light for subtle daytime contouring. To be applied to the hollows of the cheeks, temples and upper forehead.
- There are two blushes- Surreal Glow and Surreal Effect. Surreal Glow has a peach tone with a slight glow, this is to be used across the cheekbones. Surreal Effect is a bright pink for a pop of colour on the middle of the cheek apples.
- Surreal Strobe Light is the highlighter. They are all highlighters really, they all have iridescence, but this one packs more punch. For use on the under eye, brow bone, Cupid’s bow etc. etc.
The effect is beautiful. The Surreal Light powders give the most natural ladylike contour. No brown stripes or metallic areas. Just a soft glow. The Hourglass Surreal Light Palette gives skin a well rested glowing appearance without looking heavily madeup.
Here are the swatches-
I think my favourite powder is the finishing powder. The glow effect is just visible so you can just use it over the whole face. I use the Real Techniques Contour Brush to apply the bronzer and blush and a bit of Strobe powder. The effect is youthful radiance in seconds. I used this palette for a pizza night with the girls, they were all like “you look amazing Nia!”, I didn’t really, I looked like shit. But that is what this powder does- it restores that natural glow that has been sucked from my face by children.
Just a note about nomenclature (I got confused by all the terms). Hourglass is the brand that makes the palette. Ambient Light is Hourglass’s range of highlighter powders. Surreal Light is the name given to the powder in this palette, you can’t buy these powders separately at the moment. So if you like the look of this palette, snap it up quick because it’s a limited edition.
The only downside to the Surreal Light Palette really is the £69 price tag. For me it’s worth it. If that’s way steep, check out SpaceNK for other more affordable Hourglass Ambient Light Products
Here’s a shot of me lit, surreally-